Certainly these spaces offer the ability to gain more space as storage, utility rooms, bedrooms cinemas or amazing entertainment rooms. The issue of controlling water and moisture into these rooms is essential of course. Providing daylight and ventilation is also crucial to complying with Planning and Building Regulations.
We have worked on some amazing properties across London which have allowed us to create new both functional and extravagant Basements for our Clients. Early in the Design and Planning process we identify advantages in bringing Basement spaces up to current spec standards - and identify approximate budgets.
Local Authorities have differing Planning Constraints relating to Basement Design, all ultimately are seeking to control over-development which can give rise to changes in ground conditions and cause problems for adjoining properties. We have secured Basement Planning Approval on a number of projects, ranging from the creation of new storage and amenity spaces to full Basements with bedrooms, entertaining spaces and temperature controlled wine cellars.
Planning Drawings and associated documentation required to make a Basement Planning Application varies from Borough to Borough - with some now requiring extensive information when considering the application.
Some helpful notes on Basement Extensions:
1. As well as Cost, Time is a significant factor to build in for the Construction of Basements.
2. Depending on the extent of the Works, the Party Wall process will prolong a start date on site. Notices need to be served as soon as realistically possible with accurate information from an Architect and an Engineer. A Main Contractor is also needed at this stage to provide Construction Method Statements and have their experience and suitability checked.
3. These are a serious piece of Architecture, Engineering and Construction and therefore require a suitably skilled team to deliver.
4. There are 3 types of waterproofing options to prevent ingress of water. Basements can utilise a combination of all, with a final barrier internally against the new concrete walls to trap any water and divert it towards a sump pump which then removes it into the site drainage system.
5. Ventilation and natural light within the basement is critical. To comply with Planning and Building Regulations we must provide natural light direct into any habitable rooms. Ventilation can be direct from windows in lightwells, or via HVAC systems which provide fresh controlled air.
[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
- absolute pleasureIt has been an absolute pleasure working with Atelierdb from the initial planning and design of the project right through to completion. Not only did they deliver on the brief, they managed to exceed our expectations on what could be done to the space (whilst staying within budget!). The entire process remained stress-free thanks to the ongoing communication between Atelierdb and the building contractor, allowing the project to be completed on time and to a very high standard. Highly recommended.danny and lara moody,client, longstaff road, wandsworth
- design excellencethey supported us during the construction process with clear and concise communication. atelierdb have designed a new kitchen/dining/entertaining area which we love and has surpassed our expectationsjames + jennie lavender,client, skelbrook street
- repeat clientwe have since moved into a larger property and project and we are now working with atelierdb for the second time.carol o'gorman,client, killieser avenue + atkins road