All too visible across London and beyond are poorly designed Loft Conversions, not only visually on the streetscape, but also internally due to 'designers' that simply don't understand how a little more effort can produce amazing results.
We are very experienced in using both Planning and Permitted Development rights to help clients achieve some truly exciting design solutions for their new Loft Conversion. Consideration of structural engineering, materials and maintenance are also key factors to having a successful Loft Conversion.
We help Clients understand what is allowable on their specific property using Planning and Permitted Development rights. We show all possible options/variations in plan and critically in section, and when the design of the Loft is signed off we prepare Planning Drawings for submission to the relevant Planning Authority. We also typically help Clients find suitable builders and Project Manage the Conversion on site.
Top tips for a quality Loft Conversion:
1. If you choose to 'live in' whilst undertaking a Loft Conversion this will impact slightly on the headroom within the new loft, but of course saves costs.
2. Maximise headroom - we make sure clients are best informed on all options, as we like to achieve good headroom in the loft to help it knit in with the main house feel downstairs.
3. We like to design the new stairs to marry with the original in size and form. So often we see poorly executed stairs up to a loft, making it feel like a poor relative to the glory of the period property below.
4. Roof construction significantly impact on the temperature within the Loft. Avoid cold decks at all costs - we design only with warm decks with good insulation levels to help mitigate lofts being hot in summer and cold in winter.
5. Ventilation - we design in useable openable windows within the new stair area whenever possible, to let out hot air and draw cooler air up through the house.
6. Services - we try to stack services above one another wherever possible to avoid convoluted routing of pipes that will eventually give problems.
7. Maintenance - we actively design and select products and items that allow the loft to be as maintenance free as possible, and consider access solutions for any future needs.
- absolute pleasureIt has been an absolute pleasure working with Atelierdb from the initial planning and design of the project right through to completion. Not only did they deliver on the brief, they managed to exceed our expectations on what could be done to the space (whilst staying within budget!). The entire process remained stress-free thanks to the ongoing communication between Atelierdb and the building contractor, allowing the project to be completed on time and to a very high standard. Highly recommended.danny and lara moody,client, longstaff road, wandsworth
- design excellencethey supported us during the construction process with clear and concise communication. atelierdb have designed a new kitchen/dining/entertaining area which we love and has surpassed our expectationsjames + jennie lavender,client, skelbrook street
- repeat clientwe have since moved into a larger property and project and we are now working with atelierdb for the second time.carol o'gorman,client, killieser avenue + atkins road