Certainly these spaces offer the ability to gain more space as storage, utility rooms, bedrooms cinemas or amazing entertainment rooms. The issue of controlling water and moisture into these rooms is essential of course. Providing daylight and ventilation is also crucial to complying with Planning and Building Regulations.
We have worked on some amazing properties across London which have allowed us to create new both functional and extravagant Basements for our Clients. Early in the Design and Planning process we identify advantages in bringing Basement spaces up to current spec standards - and identify approximate budgets.
Local Authorities have differing Planning Constraints relating to Basement Design, all ultimately are seeking to control over-development which can give rise to changes in ground conditions and cause problems for adjoining properties. We have secured Basement Planning Approval on a number of projects, ranging from the creation of new storage and amenity spaces to full Basements with bedrooms, entertaining spaces and temperature controlled wine cellars.
Planning Drawings and associated documentation required to make a Basement Planning Application varies from Borough to Borough - with some now requiring extensive information when considering the application.
Some helpful notes on Basement Extensions:
1. As well as Cost, Time is a significant factor to build in for the Construction of Basements.
2. Depending on the extent of the Works, the Party Wall process will prolong a start date on site. Notices need to be served as soon as realistically possible with accurate information from an Architect and an Engineer. A Main Contractor is also needed at this stage to provide Construction Method Statements and have their experience and suitability checked.
3. These are a serious piece of Architecture, Engineering and Construction and therefore require a suitably skilled team to deliver.
4. There are 3 types of waterproofing options to prevent ingress of water. Basements can utilise a combination of all, with a final barrier internally against the new concrete walls to trap any water and divert it towards a sump pump which then removes it into the site drainage system.
5. Ventilation and natural light within the basement is critical. To comply with Planning and Building Regulations we must provide natural light direct into any habitable rooms. Ventilation can be direct from windows in lightwells, or via HVAC systems which provide fresh controlled air.
- professional and attention to detailWe used Atelierdb to design and project manage our kitchen extension. We found David extremely professional and with great attention to detail. The design process was tailored and iterative to ensure we met our objectives wherever possible, and the project management service was invaluable to keep us on track (and sane!) during the building works. We are now delighted with the new living space that it has achieved for us.Zoe Lelliott, Battersea
- extremely pleasedWe appointed Atelierdb to re-design our house prior to a full renovation. We were extremely pleased with the service, David and his team provided many layout possibilities, they were flexible and professional throughout and always had solutions. I would highly recommend them.Jennifer Pitt, Heaver Estate Conservation Area
- support and patienceWe have recently completed our kitchen extension project and I can only recommend David and his team. The support and patience during the design phase was great and the project management and support during the construction has been really helpful. They turned an idea into an amazing living space.Michela Bariletti, Balham