All too visible across London and beyond are poorly designed loft conversions, not only visually on the streetscape, but also internally due to 'designers' that simply don't understand how a little more effort can produce amazing results.
We are very experienced in using both Planning and Permitted Development rights to help clients achieve some truly exciting design solutions for their new Loft Conversion. Consideration of structural engineering, materials and maintenance are also key factors to having a successful Loft Conversion.
We help Clients understand what is allowable on their specific property using Planning and Permitted Development rights. We show all possible options/variations in plan and critically in section, and when the design of the Loft is signed off we prepare Planning Drawings for submission to the relevant Planning Authority. We also typically help Clients find suitable builders and Project Manage the Conversion on site.
Top tips for a quality Loft Conversion:
1. If you choose to 'live in' whilst undertaking a Loft Conversion this will impact slightly on the headroom within the new loft, but of course saves costs.
2. Maximise headroom - we make sure clients are best informed on all options, as we like to achieve good headroom in the loft to help it knit in with the main house feel downstairs.
3. We like to design the new stairs to marry with the original in size and form. So often we see poorly executed stairs up to a loft, making it feel like a poor relative to the glory of the period property below.
4. Roof construction significantly impact on the temperature within the Loft. Avoid cold decks at all costs - we design only with warm decks with good insulation levels to help mitigate lofts being hot in summer and cold in winter.
5. Ventilation - we design in useable openable windows within the new stair area whenever possible, to let out hot air and draw cooler air up through the house.
6. Services - we try to stack services above one another wherever possible to avoid convoluted routing of pipes that will eventually give problems.
7. Maintenance - we actively design and select products and items that allow the loft to be as maintenance free as possible, and consider access solutions for any future needs.
- professional and attention to detailWe used Atelierdb to design and project manage our kitchen extension. We found David extremely professional and with great attention to detail. The design process was tailored and iterative to ensure we met our objectives wherever possible, and the project management service was invaluable to keep us on track (and sane!) during the building works. We are now delighted with the new living space that it has achieved for us.Zoe Lelliott, Battersea
- extremely pleasedWe appointed Atelierdb to re-design our house prior to a full renovation. We were extremely pleased with the service, David and his team provided many layout possibilities, they were flexible and professional throughout and always had solutions. I would highly recommend them.Jennifer Pitt, Heaver Estate Conservation Area
- support and patienceWe have recently completed our kitchen extension project and I can only recommend David and his team. The support and patience during the design phase was great and the project management and support during the construction has been really helpful. They turned an idea into an amazing living space.Michela Bariletti, Balham