Across London we are very experienced in adding ground floor extensions to existing period properties. We make best use of space and can seamlessly blend new Architecture with old, using contemporary or traditional designs.
Following an initial survey of the property, we work up concept designs based on the Client brief. These initial concepts take into consideration local Planning Policies, Supplementary Planning Guidance, The London Plan, Party Wall matters, Daylight and Ventilation and more. We also consider structural requirements at Concept Stage, as this is critical to ensure that the Designs submitted with the Planning Application are a realistic solution to progress to the next stages.
Once the Clients have approved the preferred layout and design, we prepare Planning Drawings, a Design + Access Statement and all necessary supporting documentation required for a Planning Application to the Local Authority.
Types of Ground Extensions:
1. Rear Extension - these run across the back of the existing ground floor house and add valuable kitchen dining or entertaining space. These typically link with the original house by forming a larger opening on the original back wall, using a steel beam or a picture frame steel solution.
2. Side Return Extension - these usually impact on natural light into the middle room within the property, and need more careful consideration. It is worth rethinking the internal whole house balance with these extensions as these can create some really exciting open plan options to link the whole house together.
3. Wrap Around Extension - these merge both the above, and can result in spectacular spaces being created. Good consideration of structural engineering and ceiling heights can maximise natural light within the space, and make all feel as if it has always existed, rather than feeling like 'add-ons'.
- absolute pleasureIt has been an absolute pleasure working with Atelierdb from the initial planning and design of the project right through to completion. Not only did they deliver on the brief, they managed to exceed our expectations on what could be done to the space (whilst staying within budget!). The entire process remained stress-free thanks to the ongoing communication between Atelierdb and the building contractor, allowing the project to be completed on time and to a very high standard. Highly recommended.danny and lara moody,client, longstaff road, wandsworth
- design excellencethey supported us during the construction process with clear and concise communication. atelierdb have designed a new kitchen/dining/entertaining area which we love and has surpassed our expectationsjames + jennie lavender,client, skelbrook street
- repeat clientwe have since moved into a larger property and project and we are now working with atelierdb for the second time.carol o'gorman,client, killieser avenue + atkins road