Across London we are very experienced in adding ground floor extensions to existing period properties. We make best use of space and can seamlessly blend new Architecture with old, using contemporary or traditional designs.
Following an initial survey of the property, we work up concept designs based on the Client brief. These initial concepts take into consideration local Planning Policies, Supplementary Planning Guidance, The London Plan, Party Wall matters, Daylight and Ventilation and more. We also consider structural requirements at Concept Stage, as this is critical to ensure that the Designs submitted with the Planning Application are a realistic solution to progress to the next stages.
Once the Clients have approved the preferred layout and design, we prepare Planning Drawings, a Design + Access Statement and all necessary supporting documentation required for a Planning Application to the Local Authority.
Types of Ground Extensions:
1. Rear Extension - these run across the back of the existing ground floor house and add valuable kitchen dining or entertaining space. These typically link with the original house by forming a larger opening on the original back wall, using a steel beam or a picture frame steel solution.
2. Side Return Extension - these usually impact on natural light into the middle room within the property, and need more careful consideration. It is worth rethinking the internal whole house balance with these extensions as these can create some really exciting open plan options to link the whole house together.
3. Wrap Around Extension - these merge both the above, and can result in spectacular spaces being created. Good consideration of structural engineering and ceiling heights can maximise natural light within the space, and make all feel as if it has always existed, rather than feeling like 'add-ons'.
- professional and attention to detailWe used Atelierdb to design and project manage our kitchen extension. We found David extremely professional and with great attention to detail. The design process was tailored and iterative to ensure we met our objectives wherever possible, and the project management service was invaluable to keep us on track (and sane!) during the building works. We are now delighted with the new living space that it has achieved for us.Zoe Lelliott, Battersea
- extremely pleasedWe appointed Atelierdb to re-design our house prior to a full renovation. We were extremely pleased with the service, David and his team provided many layout possibilities, they were flexible and professional throughout and always had solutions. I would highly recommend them.Jennifer Pitt, Heaver Estate Conservation Area
- support and patienceWe have recently completed our kitchen extension project and I can only recommend David and his team. The support and patience during the design phase was great and the project management and support during the construction has been really helpful. They turned an idea into an amazing living space.Michela Bariletti, Balham